Thursday, October 9, 2008

Labor Day = No Work and All Play




This Labor Day weekend Ryan and I headed to the Lake with friends. I can't think of a better way to spend a 3 day holiday weekend...water, sun, friends, fun. Perfection.

We headed to Jeff City on Friday night to crash with our friends Misti and Blaine. It was the first time we were going to see their new house in real life (she had been keeping us up-to-date with pics and stories on her blog). I couldn't wait to see Chateau Preston and spend the evening with friends. Friday was low key - burgers on the BBQ, a few drinks and conversation. Misti and I ended up staying up way to late. Those wussy boys crashed out early. Well if you call 1:30am early.
Saturday we started the morning with one of Blainer's famous super breakfasts. My gosh that boy can cook! He fixed a little of everything - bacon, eggs, toast, fruit, french toast, sausage....if it comes on a breakfast menu we had it! Then it was off to the lake! Yay! We met up with some other friends who were already on the water, tied our boat to theirs and just coved out for the day. Music, food, drinks, dancing.... I wish I would have gotten a picture of our neighbor a few boats down. He was loving the music - but only if it was 80's throwback music that would complement his sweet gold chain and mullet. We finished off the evening with the Mizzou game against Illinois at Shorty Pants. Go Tigers!

Sunday we got a call from Jason Watts asking if we wanted to spend the day at his parent's lake house. They've got a dock with jet skis, speakers, a diving board....so we were all over that! So we met the Watts and rode to Jason's parent's house on their boat Thunderstruck - this awesome 40-someodd foot super boat. Then we spent the whole day lounging at the dock.

At the end of the day Ryan and I decided to take a jet ski ride. You need to know 1 very important fact - I've never been on a jet ski before. We didn't grow up going to the lake except to fish and I never had friends that had water craft. Ryan assured me it would be fine. My last question - will I get very wet? Mostly because we were leaving for dinner after that and I didn't want to be a drowned rat at Horny Toad. He told me I'd get a little spray but it would be fine. Well.....then a big boat went by, we jumped the wake, made the turn - yay! But that turn happened a little too fast and centrifical force was working against me. Off I came. Splash! Off Ryan came. Splash! The last thing I saw as I went under was a large boat heading in our direction. I have no idea how Misti got to me so fast. She was next to me as soon as I popped up. Ryan told me to hang out, he'd pick me up. Did I mention the big boat. I swam my butt to the jet ski right behind him. At the time I thought I'd just lost 1 earring and my ability to not look like a drowned rat at dinner. But I was so wrong.....

After dinner I realized that my ankle was killing me. It kept getting worse and worse. But I am stubborn and a trooper and refused to say anything. Finally after everyone else was in bed I told Ryan how bad it hurt. It was super swollen so he made me go to the emergency room. 2 hours later and a pair of crutches I was released. Ugh! I'd bruised my bone (they thought I'd torn my ligament but that turned out to be untrue - thank goodness!).

Here's my moto - at least I hurt myself doing something fun! It was a great weekend :-)

No comments: