
Anyone who knows me knows that I love music. I mean LOVE music. I love to go out to bars and hear random bands. Or buy tickets to a full-blown concert. Or download random new artists onto my mp3 player. I adore all things music. In fact....let's have a moment of silence for my missing mp3 player. I hope it turns up soon.....
Last year we headed to Austin, Texas for our first Austin City Limits Music Festival. Its something that we've wanted to do every year but had never made it. Last year it blew us away. So we've decided to make it an annual trip. Last year we had a big group of the Ark-La-Tex friends that were able to go. This year it was a smaller group but the amount of fun was definately no less!!!
We met up with Miles and his fiance Kathryn. The 4 of us had a blast! Miles, Ryan and I have shared a ton of hotels over the years. And its always an adventure. Kathryn I'm so glad that you and I got the chance to hang out!! We'd get up, eat Embassy Suites sweet breakfast, take the shuttle to the festival, rock out for 11 or 12 hours, grab dinner on the way home, hit the hot tub / pool and then hit the sack. Repeat 3 times .... that's what she said :-)
ACL is 3 days of pure music bliss. 8 stages, 12 hours a day of every kind of music you can imagine. Plus sun, drinks and super delicious food (I already miss the Chick-Avo Crispy Cone). We saw a ton of acts - here are some highlights....
- Asleep at the Wheel - always awesome
- Vampire Weekend - ok, the sound was sort of mixed bad..bet they'd be great otherwise
- Eli Young Band - go see them if you get the chance!
- G. Love & Special Sauce - great! It was a total throw back to college
- The Mars Volta - Wow. In a scary way. Loud, angry, may induce punching
- The Fratellis - 3 brothers from Scotland, pretty good
- CSS - from Brazil and their name in spanish means "tired of being sexy", fun, wierd
- Band of Heathens - great band
- Robert Earl Keen - a TX staple, always awesome
- John Fogerty - blew my mind. I was expecting "eh" but it was one of the best acts all weekend
- Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - 2 of the best together = fab!
- Beck - ugh! He was totally lame. Well what we saw. He quit 20 minutes early in a short set. Diva.
- Flyleaf - really suprised me how good they really were
- Xavier Rudd - Austrialian who plays the didgeridoo. Really great act!
- Blues Traveler - super fun to see them live
- The Raconteurs - FABULOUS! I "heart" Jack White!
- Band of Horses - one of the best acts....go buy their CD!
- Foo Fighters - They brought their A-game for sure!
And that's just to name a few! Needless to say - we're getting tickets next year! We've already got a room reserved at the Embassy Suites and people buying tickets. Yay!! ACL 2009!
And one other thing....I have to give a shout out to Whataburger (why don't we have these in Missouri?). I always want to get my Whataburger fix while I'm in Texas. I think every night on the way home from the festival about does it. Or does it only feed the craving?

No comments:
Post a Comment