Thursday, October 9, 2008

The American Royal


Last weekend Ryan was part of a BBQ team at the famous American Royal. Our friend Blaine works with a guy who has a team and he had 2 extra spots on the roster. Sign 'em up! So Misti and Blaine drove in to KC on Friday night in preparation for a BBQ feast on Saturday.

Saturday started as the laziest day ever. I think we sat on the deck for 2 hours drinking coffee and chatting. Then it was time for BBQ! Ryan had gotten us a hotel downtown with his travel points (the only perk to his work travel is the points he earns). We checked in, caught the BBQ express shuttle and were whisked off to Smoke and Hickory Land.

Really Ryan and Blaine didn't have to do much. Cut some meat, add some cuts of meat to the fire, flip some ribs.....oh and chop some wood. Check out that picture! But really we just got to hang out and meet some new people. It was great! We snacked all night, chatted and roamed around to see the different teams (some of the names are awesome - Hickory Nuts, Holy Smokes).

We decided to end the experience by catching a bit of the concert. I don't even know who was playing, just that it was a country band. Anyway, we saw the BIGGEST fight I've ever seen in real life!! Holy cow!! No pun intended. Fists were swinging, chairs were flying.....the funniest part was that the fight started and stopped twice before the last round (when the police got there). I watched this blonde police woman sweep a man's knees out from under him and sit on him while she handcuffed him. Wow!! It was something!

We caught the shuttle back to the Power & Light District, made a quick stop at The Flying Saucer and hit the hay (heehee!).

1 comment:

$500 said...

I love BBQ. I love the Lanclos's''s''s's. I love KC. I don't love fights! Boo...